As the nuclear industry scrambles to reassure us we are all safe from a catastrophe like Japan’s, the risk of radioactive fallout in the US is very real. Here is a reprint from an article by GCC contributor John Kozinski, teaching us about what foods we can eat in case of radiation exposure.
As the crisis in Japan unfolds, there is uncertainty about possible radiation that may affect Japan and the world. Potassium iodide pills have been sold out at many of the American distributors.
Potassium iodide helps protect a person from the harmful effects of radioactive iodine by blocking it’s uptake into the thyroid. One possible serious effect of exposure to large doses of radioactive iodine is thyroid cancer.
There are some natural foods that will help if you have radiation exposure. Here is a list with some explanations.
1) Leafy greens: stimulate the colon and help the liver discharge radiation from the body.
2) Fermented foods: have the same effect as leafy greens. These include miso, natural cucumber pickles, and fermented sauerkraut. The best quality pickles are homemade or found in the refrigerated section of the store. They do not have vinegar as an ingredient.
3) Avoid or limit sugars. These will ferment in the gut and interfere with elimination
4) Avoid excessive amounts of whole wheat flour products. The excess fiber will interfere with gut bacteria, hampering elimination.
5) Avoid hard and dry grains such as granola, and dried cereal. This kind of fiber creates bad bacteria hampering the gut.
6) Eat moderate amounts of grains and cooked vegetables, small amounts of beans regularly and fish along with some cooked fruit, healthy fats and natural seasonings. If you eat other forms of animal foods, be moderate. Excessive amounts will interfere with digestion
7) Limit raw foods. Raw fiber is harder to digest and will hamper elimination
8) Good quality saturated fats block the toxicity of radioactive ions such as avocado and coconut oil. Increase these in times of a nuclear disaster.
9) Fatty fish: fat soluble vitamins in fatty fish like wild salmon or sardines aid elimination. Eat more often in a disaster.
10) Kelp tablets from clean waters or kombu powder made from kombu from clean waters. The natural iodine can replace the potassium iodine pills. Take a pill every 1-2 hours if exposed to radiation. North American Herb and Spice Company has good quality kelp under the name, PureKelp. If using kombu powder take a half teaspoon 3 times a day.
11) Miso has a substance that will remove radiation from the body. Prepare soups and season with a strong taste of miso if there is nuclear disaster. Drink 3 cups per day.
12) Umeboshi Plums: Take 1-2 daily. This will stimulate the liver and colon to eliminate radiation.
13) Supplements for Radiation disasters: organic selenium, 200 micrograms every hour for one week then 600 micrograms daily. Vitamin E: 400 IU every hour for 1-2 days, then 2400 IU daily. Buy Vitamin E as mixed tocopherols and/or tocotrienols.
14) North American Herb and Spice Company has a product that combines herbs, supplements and potassium iodine. It is called NukeProtect.
15) Chlorella: 2 – 500 mg. capsules 3 times per day or follow directions on the bottle
-John Kozinski 3-11-11